Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The New Crop

I usually have a love/hate gut reaction to trends.  And once judgement is passed, I cannot be convinced otherwise.  For instance, when clogs were featured on Chanel's spring 2010 runways and subsequently knocked off in department stores, I vowed to never ever buy a pair, no matter how prevalent they became.  I have remained true to my instincts, and thankfully, I think the clog craze is fading quickly.

When the cropped top trend surfaced (technically re-surfaced, since it was a 90s trend), I had the same initial disgust, even anger.  Why would any adult woman want to show several inches of her midriff?  It inevitably looks cheap and sloppy.  But as the seasons have changed, so has my stance on this important issue.  You see, a cropped blouse is the perfect answer to fall's high-waisted pants, which can look awkward with fabric tucked into them.  Or, what if a boxy cropped sweater is layered over a prim button down?  It's the perfect contradiction and compliment.  Also, a cropped pullover looks great over a fitted dress.  Basically, the key to wearing this trend tastefully is to ensure that your stomach is covered.

Inspiration from the fall runways:
 
Proenza Schouler Fall 2010

Chanel Fall 2010 Couture

Here is is with high waisted pants and a skirt:
  
Surface to Air shirt

Opening Ceremony shirt
 Or layered over a button down:
 
Proenza Schouler

Timo Weiland
 
My favorite is this slouchy cropped Alexander Wang sweater, worn with a leather corset belt.


Alexander Wang
If you're hesitant to try the fully cropped silhouette, this BCBG shirt is a great compromise, which is shorter only in the front.

BCBG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...